Sometimes it’s nice to disconnect when travelling, but sometimes it’s critical to stay connected. Luckily, getting cellular service in Utila, Honduras is easy and affordable.
The two main cellular networks you’ll see in Utila (and elsewhere in Honduras) are Claro and Tigo. It seems locals each have their preferred network. But Claro has a boutique in central Utila that makes getting a SIM card and plan quick and easy.
Many shops advertise being a Claro (or Tigo) distributor, but they can’t provide assistance in getting your device activated on their network. Go to the Claro shop on Main Street in Utila.
You’ll buy a Claro SIM card. I can’t remember the price, but it was very reasonable.
Then you’ll select a pre-paid cell plan. They offer several plans, including (as of April 2022):
- 1 day, 2GB data, 15 minutes – 25 Lempiras (approx. US$1)
- 3 days, 6GB data, 30 minutes – L50 (approx. US$2)
- 7 days, 12GB data, 60 minutes – L100 (approx. US$4)
- 10 days, 15GB data, 100 minutes – L150 (approx. US$6)
- 15 days, 25 GB data, 100 minutes – L220 (approx. US$9)
- All plans include unlimited minutes and SMS within the Claro network
If you’re staying longer than 15 days, you can simply return to the Claro store to top up your plan.
So check out the Claro shop. Within 5 minutes you’ll have a local SIM card and cellular service for your stay in Utila. And the employees are super helpful, ensuring everything is working before you leave the store.